The arrival of our over-planned baby!

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Big announcement!
My husband and I just welcomed our third baby into the family: Maya Renée on Friday.


Originally due on January 29, she arrived five days early after a horrible week of being unable to eat nearly anything. Then on Friday at 4:30 am, you can imagine my RELIEF when I started to feel the first of the contractions that would land my baby girl in my arms at 11:52 am.


I had two prayers for this arrival: for a small baby and a quick delivery. She is the smallest of my children at 7 lbs even (Sofia was 7 lbs 7 oz and Joaquin was 7 lbs and 10 oz). For the delivery, she came in one big push and that was it. In fact she came so fast that everyone forgot to tell me what I had. (When I asked, I saw my doctor's arm reach over and lift her leg and announce to me that I had a girl. There is no dignity in a delivery room, I tell ya.)

Okay, I know that I have been away from my blog for a long time (just shy over a year and a couple of weeks!), but that's because I was working through so much decision making over 2013 that I just couldn't write about yet.

And there was A LOT we had to work through. First off, obviously, do we really want to have a third child? We already have a 5 and a 3 year old. They're becoming quite independent; there were no more diapers to change, they can dress themselves, there are no strollers in the picture... we've got this down. Do we want to start all over again?

Trying to imagine how to create and maintain a healthy work-family balance. Having two small children, although fairly independent as described above, are NOT adults. They are still exhausting! And I already had my hands full with working as an in-house graphic designer who works half-time at home, and half-time in the office and I felt pretty frazzled at the end of each day. And this is just with two. Can I stretch myself even thinner to accommodate another little life into this picture?

And there are even practical stuff to work through, like will we have to buy a new car? We are in a Toyota Matrix right now. How do we fit three carseats in the back of this thing? Too bad it's not still the 80s. We could even get one kid to just lie on the floor...

At some point, I'm going to be definitely sharing my thoughts on the above in hoping that it might help somebody who is also wondering the same thing.

But here we are on the other side! After all the thinking and praying and weighing and asking and doubting and processing... here is the baby girl that we very carefully considered having. And it is very safe to say that we very much wanted to have her – I just wanted to make sure that I was making room for her so that it could be possible to give her the very best of me as I could.

Anyway, enough for now. I probably should sleep... night owl habits are NOT compatible with small children's schedules. Looking forward to sharing more with you in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.