Learning new things, but not too many

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Tonight is swim class for Sofia. This will be her fourth class of nine.

Last year, in my little daughter's SCHEDULE, we kept it simple: let's get her used to going to school first.

Okay fine. I needed to get used to her going to school first.

After all, on my days off I wasn't used to the fact that I'd have to wait until she was done her half-day in the morning before I could plan to do anything! And not to mention that I have to get up extra early in order to get myself ready and then get Sofia ready for school. School added an all new level of hectic to our lives.

This year, I felt she and I was ready to add a couple of more things now that we've mastered adding school in the mix. Swimming on Tuesday and Wee College on Wednesdays at church. She is enjoying both a lot and doesn't seem too exhausted.

I am wary of putting too much on her plate. Sofia has a classmate where she has something different everyday: tae kwan do, ballet, swimming and other things I can't remember. Obviously each parent can decide as they see fit, but I am of the persuasion that children should be children and they don't need schedules as busy as ours as adults. I want to see that she has time to be creative, to have time building a relationship with her brother, to read stories with her parents and other things that can't happen if every moment in her day is scheduled.

I am guilty of this, however. I am always looking to see how I can be more productive, what else can I squeeze into my day. But what good is that when I am drained to the point that my first day off is spent recovering from my week and the rest are spent worrying about what I need to accomplish in the next week?

Sometimes I think that we as adults need to allow ourselves some time to just play. Yes, still. Maybe time to just chat on the phone with a friend. Some time to paint a picture. Some time to write a few thoughts down. Some time for a ticklefight with the kids. If I don't model it, how can I hope that my kids won't put the same unsustainable pressure that we put on ourselves that often us city-type people tend to do? I hope that I can fight against doing that for their sake--and mine.

1 comment:

  1. Great tips Kathy. What you wrote made so much sense about not overcrowding their schedule & allowing kids to be kids & play. I also love that she's in wee college too :)
    Your a great mom & I appreciate your words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.