Joaquin's Rare (Blogpost) Snapshot

Monday, September 17, 2012

Joaquin.
Compared to my first born, I really don't write much about him. I don't take many pictures of him. Such is the plight of the subsequently born. Poor thing. 

Okay, I do try to take photos and video of him, but he tends to run towards the camera. Makes for every shot ending up the same. 

Anyway, he is now 2.5 years old. We enjoy the heck out of him. He definitely has his trying days, but in general, he is a ridiculous amount of fun. Sofia and him, they really get along. I can't complain. For the fact that they are two years apart and different genders, it's quite a miracle. Gonz and him have been bonding really well lately. I find that children bond easily to their mothers, but bonding to their fathers take intentionality and work. Joaquin will let Gonz take him to sleep – whereas at his age, Sofia wouldn't have anyone but me. I'm extremely happy about this. 

What is he up to these days?

VERBAL
He doesn't really talk. Okay, fine. He is starting to talk. He'll put a couple of words together know to form his version of a sentence, and most of the time we know what he wants. This has been interesting for us as a family because Sofia was talking in PARAGRAPHS already by the time she was two and half. I know it's bad to compare your children, but I didn't say this was a competition. It's just...interesting. 

PLAY
He's into his Lego. He is starting to be able to put the pieces together. He can work the puzzle app on my iPhone (My First Puzzles). Train sets. Looking at books. He loves dancing with and chasing his sister. One day I hope to capture a good shot of him dancing. 

This past summer, while in my cousin's pool (and wearing a floatation device), he figured out how to keep his head above the water and started swimming around. He sure drank a TON OF POOL WATER for the first few tries, but I couldn't believe how confident he was in the water. Especially since last summer, he HATED the pool. So glad he has changed his mind about that!

FOOD
Picky. But a weird picky. Like, he won't eat grilled cheese sandwiches, but he'll have Thai Red Curry Chicken. I don't know. I can't guess what he'll like, so I should just remember to let him try it all. 

HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR
He is potty-trained. About a month ago, I noted that he was waking up dry for a few weeks and I thought, let's just go for this. My method of potty-training is downright just dirty. It's the fastest way. With Sofia I waffled between underwear and Pull-Ups. When someone told me that Pull-Ups and other fake-y underwear-diaper hybrids just prolonged potty-training, I said FORGET THAT. And when I did, there were more messes but potty-training was usually complete in something like a week. And with Joaquin that was true. During the process, I was still putting Joaquin in diapers at night, just in case, until one night, I went to do the same, he pushed my hand away gently and said "no", and pointed to his pyjama pants. I thought, okay, well, let's just go for it. Since then he hasn't wet the bed not even once. And while we have had a few accidents during the day, I cannot complain, He is doing great. 


We had a great time with our little family this past summer. I never got around to writing a post about our holidays, but we took two weeks out and just drove around the United States visiting my side of the family. It was fantastic. It's no lie when people tell you that kids grow up fast. I have a 4.5 and a 2.5 year old. Whenever I just step back I can't believe that they are that big already. I am trying to always remind myself that if I don't stop to take a a good look at my kids regularly, they'll be grown and leaving me before I know it. I am learning to be grateful for every day that they are with me, even if they have been an exhausting day. They are such a gift and they teach me so much every day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.