Little Sister to Mommy

Monday, June 25, 2012

Today marks my sister's due date. As I write this, there is 41 minutes left to today – so, likely Monday, June 25, 2012 will not be my soon to be niece (or nephew's) birthday.

I cannot tell you how excited I am!

My sister walked closely with me through my two pregnancies. She even knows what kind of "personality" my children demonstrated while in the womb!

However, I drew a line. She almost made into the delivery room for my first. She was there when the contractions were starting; we were in Oshawa at my in-laws'. We started driving back to Toronto, to head to my hospital, and she was taking notes as to what to pack in my bag... since I didn't get a chance to do that. (Sofia came 16 days early!) She was there at the hospital as I got wheeled into my labour room. But as my contractions got worse and worse, I managed a sliver of foresight: A woman should never have to witness the labour pains and delivery before her time comes to do that herself! And I am smart because here she is today about to deliver her own child. If I had not kicked her out of that labour room, she may have been too traumatized to ever want children of her own!

I'm looking forward to being there when this baby arrives. To welcome her/ him into the world, and into our family! These days are more precious than I can even wrap my head around even though I have already had two. And so many things are going to change for Christine and Josiah. Gonzo and I are looking forward to helping in anyway we can to ease the challenges of the days and long, long nights of newborns so that they can enjoy the transition into being parents. My own parents, sisters, parents-in-law, sisters-in-law, friends and more family were an amazing support during those early days – cooking for us, presents and phone calls and well-wishing. I am looking forward to passing on what blessing I received!

(Photo credit: the very awesome Blake Morrow)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.