Exercise really DOES work!

Sunday, January 08, 2012


I am exercising again!
I know that I'm so on again, off again about this, but who isn't? However, this is a commitment for the long haul because unlike the other tries, this has a financial investment.

Yes, my husband and I have a membership to the local gym.

This wasn't necessarily a New Year's resolution. We've been trying to join the gym since October. However, we got the membership through his work (the regular monthly $50 premium is down to $32 when we enrolled through his company), and first, we missed the deadline (15th of every month), and then missed the deadline again (oh, we have to have it in 2 weeks BEFORE in order to START on the 15th of every month?), and then when it all finally got sorted out, it was December. Oh well, better late than never.

So, I actually love fitness, but when my children came along, many things went to the back-burner – exercise being one of the first. How can a parent exercise when most of your day is consumed with child-related activities? So when this offer came up at my hubby's work I was excited to enrol, but truthfully for his sake. I thought, sure, I could use some activity, but the focus was on my spouse.

And since we started going eleven days ago, I've already been seven times. I forgot how much I enjoyed going and I underestimated how much I would benefit from it.

My moods have evened out. I didn't realize how cranky I was getting. My energy has been low ever since the weather has gotten cold outside and the lack of sunshine and outside air has really gotten to me. Exercising has gotten my body moving and I feel so much better.

Related to the above, my stamina has improved a lot. My sessions have steadily improved since I started going. Thank goodness my body has forgiven me and I've been able to bounce back quickly. I realized how out of shape I've gotten when a light job almost winded me the first time I climbed back on the treadmill and tried to run for twenty minutes. I was out in seven. Just five sessions later, I can run for a half hour at a 4.6 mile per hour pace. I'm pretty pleased about this.

Ready for a weird result? I procrastinate less. I find that since I started exercising again, I actually feel more motivated and just feel more focused, as well as less frustrated when faced with tedious tasks at home or at work. This, I find as an unexpected side benefit.

And when we decided to fit exercise into our day, I honestly didn't even know where the time would come from, how watching the kids would work and all of that, but I decided to make the decision and figure it out later. Amazing to find all these little pockets of time that reveal themselves when you make something a priority.

Just in a short week and half I'm already experiencing a massive improvement in the way I move through my day, the way my body feels, and even in my headspace. A friend on Facebook shared that her New Year's Resolution was to take care of herself more, and that totally resonated with me, and so far I've found that almost-daily exercise is certainly the self-care that I've been missing for a while.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I haven't gone back yet, but have changed my eating habits (again) back to healthier choices. :) I WILL find it in me to head back to the gym; cause we all know summer will be here, don't blink!!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kathy. Reading this has just reminded me once again about getting back on track for eating healthy. I loved when I was eating healthy. My energy levels were up and I felt great and slept so well. Getting fit again is a big priority for me in 2012. All the best with your continued exercising. I'm going to incorporate some form of exercise too!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.