Modern Meal Planning: Recipe D'Internet

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I am a mom. I work a little bit (currently on maternity leave). I'm a supportive wife (read: my husband drags me into his involvements and commitments ;-) ). Life gets really busy... and so, sometimes the the biggest question of the day is:

WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER?

I am always searching for easy, quick, delicious, healthy dinner recipes. And on the weekends, I'm looking for exciting, new, fancy dinner recipes. I own a dozen recipe books but hardly open them because of the plethora of recipes now available online. Always what helps is that often these recipes have been tried by other people who have rated it and so you don't have to go through the suffering of slaving over a dish that doesn't have a great pay-off.

1) The Weeknight Meal: Real Simple (www.realsimple.com)

I absolutely love Real Simple's magazine - which is where I first starting falling in love with their recipes. They really live up to their magazine's title: they don't require 1,000 ingredients, they usually take a maximum of one hour to prepare, and they're healthy too. The way they have the recipes set up for searching is pretty good. You can search for a specific recipe, but you can browse the recipe by collection (like, "30 No Fail Chicken Dinners"). I haven't made a recipe from that site that I haven't liked.

2) The Fancy Meal: Williams Sonoma (www.williams-sonoma.com)

This is also a site from where I have gotten recipes and have never been disappointed. The only thing is that yes, you will have a list of 12 items that you have never, ever heard of before, or you know will be a challenge to find in your local grocery store (not that it's not there, but the grocery boy has no idea in which direction to point you). My husband recently made me a duck dish with a recipe from Williams Sonoma and it was seriously the best duck I have ever had. I need to challenge my tastes more and just pick random recipes from there.

3) Using the Left Over Ingredients: All Recipes (www.allrecipes.com)

There is nothing more annoying than buying an ingredient for a recipe you're trying, and never using it again -- only to have it rot in your refrigerator. This is where I love, love, love AllRecipes.com. Go to the "Ingredients" search and you can search just by that one ingredient - or even a combo of them, OR EVEN by the ingredients you DON'T want! This is extremely helpful for those of us who really hate wasting food.

Those are my three go-to's.
What are yours?

1 comment:

  1. I'm an evangelist for Cook's Illustrated. The nerd in me wants to know why certain dishes work the way they do and they're so informative and nerdy about the way they approach food, so it's a lovely match. My go-to-never-ever-fail recipe place. They also have some fun menus too.

    Also, Epicurious is pretty great. Plus they have a pretty spiffy iPhone app.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.