Oh, let me sleep tonight!

Monday, May 17, 2010

48 - 2010 05 11 napping by window

We moved Joaquín into the nursery!
It's funny, doing this the second time around. I vividly remember the guilty feeling I had moving Sofia into the nursery. I really didn't want to, but I had read that babies start forming sleeping habits at six weeks, and I KNEW that I didn't want a 12 year old still sharing my bed. Especially if I want to have at least three kids. So, off to the nursery Sofia went. With Joaquín, I was basically begging Gonzalo to re-set up the crib. Honey! PLEASE GET THIS KID OUT OF HERE.

But seriously, I need this kid to sleep through the night more than I needed Sofia to. A crappy night sleep really makes dealing with two kids really difficult emotionally. (And all my friends with four children are laughing at me right now...) I really want to be a kind mother, but it's funny how a poor rest the night before really makes that nearly impossible. Today I was playing with PlayDoh with Sofia, and I put my head down on the diningroom table and Sofia asked, "What happened?" I said, "Mommy has a headache." Sofia, "Sorry Mommy...it's my fault." I hope she doesn't actually know what she is saying 'cause I really hope that I don't make her feel like that.

So, last night was the first night we put Joaquín in the nursery and I anticipated a terrible night ahead. While in the bassinet that we keep right beside me, it's easy when he wakes to pop the pacifier back in and back to sleep he goes. The nursery is a whole 'nother room. I have to GET UP and WALK there and fumble in the dark to figure out what the heck I am doing. 4 am came and he kept waking. As soon as the pacifier falls out, he wakes up again. Then, I remembered what Gabbie said about her baby - SWADDLE HIM. I swaddled Sofia all the time because the apartment we were living in at the time was quite cold and she was a December baby. So, I swaddled her for temperature's sake. But swaddling is also for helping them feel stable. If you ever lay a newborn down on a flat surface watch their arms and legs flail out as if they're looking for their balance. They lose their equilibrium quite easily. I forgot about that. After getting up about six times, I finally swaddle him and he sleeps until 8 am. AWE. SOME.

We'll see how he does tonight. I fed him at 8:30 and put him to sleep right after...SWADDLED. And it's 12:11 am and he's still sleeping. I can't tell you how nice it is to get my night back. I have had to keep him in a babysling until 11 every night for the last three or so weeks to keep him from crying and somewhat sleeping. For some reason when it's 11 or so, he is able to settle down and just sleep, but not before that. Also, he normally has a three-hour feeding pattern - that is, until one feed that is around 8:30 that needs to happen regardless of when he was fed before that. After this feed is when he feeds whenever. I am still not sure what time that middle-of-the-night feed is. But it's somewhere around 5 hours he goes down for night-time sleep.

Babies are a big fat puzzle. They're fun. That is, if you have had a good night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.