Joaquín Hugo

Monday, April 05, 2010


Joaquín Hugo, originally uploaded by kathy photo.

He is finally here. FINALLY!
Joaquín arrived on March 25, 2010 at 12:56 pm, at 7 pounds and 10 ounces. His due date was March 27, so he arrived two days early.

I managed to wrap up work without going into labour and leaving work unprepared. I left lots of instructions and notes for my replacement and so felt good going into my one week of vacation before my due date. Who knew, though, how much of that vacation I was going to get to enjoy. The baby could come at the end of the week, or on Monday when I start my vacation. He let me have three days.

Towards the end of my pregnancy I was really getting weary. Not really during the day, but at night, trying to get comfortable enough to sleep was hard. And with thoughts of perhaps going into labour while at the office, or somewhere else as equally awkward, stressing me out it didn't help with my shortage of sleep. And yet despite all of this, I was still hoping that he wouldn't arrive too early so that I could have a few days to enjoy with Sofia, and have some time for last preparations for his arrival.

On Wednesday at 10:15 am, I had a scheduled appointment at my OB's where he planned on doing an internal to determine what we'd do if it didn't look like the baby was coming anytime soon. Fortunately, he said I was on the brink of labour and performed a procedure that would help it along... even daring to say that labour may occur within 24 hours. Well, he was certainly correct. Joaquín would start making his way the next morning at 7 am.

I woke up on Thursday morning at 6:30 to settle Sofia back into bed. I took her into my bed with me and tried to sleep a little more, but with no avail. Just after 7 am I felt my first contractions, which I wasn't sure whether it was contractions, like as in going into labour, or just some soreness that I had been experiencing over the last week. I decided to wait it out and see if was going to get worse. I didn't want to be calling all of my family and set into motion what I may not be able to stop if it happens to be false labour.

As nerdy as this totally sounds, I used an app that I downloaded onto my iPod Touch called "Stage1" that helped me track the length and time between my contractions. I am really happy that I had it 'cause it helped to convince myself that i was really going into REAL labour and make the decision to call my husband to come back home and take me to the hospital. If i didn't have it, I think that I probably would have stayed at home far too long and it would have been a really stressful and painful trip to the hospital.

My contractions started about 20 minutes apart, but immediately started dropping after that. In one hour, they were 9 and half minutes apart. And fifteen minutes after that, they were only 5 minutes apart...and I was still sitting at home. At that point I called Gonz to come home. Fortunately, they hovered around 5 minutes for a while but they were getting stronger and much more uncomfortable. There was definitely no doubt now that labour was well on its way and I was going to see my baby soon!

My labour was about 5 hours with a half hour of pushing at the end -- which is half of what I had to do with Sofia (10 hours of labour and an hour of pushing), so that was great. Couldn't complain. I managed to do this drug-free again, and I really feel great this time around. I was out shopping for an Easter outfit for him four days later. Today, I haven't taken a single pain killer although I have been only taking it once in the morning over the last week. I am so thankful for uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries. I do not take it lightly.

Joaquín is doing well. He is so sleepy though. I CANNOT wake him to feed him sometimes! At the hospital, I tried to wake him for a good 45 minutes to feed him (the medical staff encouraged us to feed them every 2 to 3 hours to make sure that they keep jaundice away). But once I wake him, he is ravenous. Now, he wakes up to nurse every 3 and half hours and apparently this works for him 'cause he gained most of his birth weight back four days after his arrival - he was only short 1 and half ounces (where on average it takes 14 days to do that).

Many people have been asking how Sofia had been handling the arrival of her new baby brother. I really couldn't have wished it to be going any better. Sofia adores her brother, really wants to help with him, and cannot stop showing him affection. The first few days she was acting up a bit: being demanding, throwing mini-tantrums... basically being a two year old. But all of that is already gone, and she is doing great. And this all happened without having to do all the tricks that I have been told I should do to ensure my first born doesn't try to murder the new baby within a week of his arrival home. Phew!

I am a mother of two. I have kidS. We are a family of FOUR. Even though this is the second time this has happened to me, bringing life into this world is an unbelievable event.

10 comments:

  1. He's so so beautiful...
    This blog made my heart smile.
    I love how your feeling blessed comes out so sincerely.
    See you soon,
    Love,
    Beka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable, He looks so cute, congrats to you and Gonzo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. So great to 'see' him. He looks so soft and beautiful. Congratulations again.
    Kaylee

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy that your family keeps sharing your beautiful creations and their experiences with the rest of us.
    Such a great way to appreciate life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!! I can't wait to meet him...I promise he'll be less than two years old.

    And pain killer free again...very impressive!

    Love Wiser

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! He's a good looking baby. :) So happy for you! Many blessings on your increased family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jordana Wronski5/4/10 14:09

    Congrats to all of you, Kathy! He is beautiful...life is about to get more hectic, but also more awesome!!!! Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful experience. May God bless your new family of 4!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. he is so cute Kathy. i am so happy for your fam :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a precious baby boy! Congratulations to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.