On the eve

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I am here on the eve of leaving my workplace for a year. I am a bit excited. I am a bit sad. I am ALL anticipation.

What I am so excited about is being able to be one thing: a mom. First and foremost. As crazy as it can still be - a toddler and a newborn together... I am looking forward to a year without due dates and deadlines (except to get my children (!) into scheduled doctor's appointments). Although I thrive on deadlines and to-do lists, I know that it's really good for me. I can be a little bit too much of a Type A to slow down and step back. I find that having children really does this for me. Really paying attention to Sofia makes me appreciate so much about life and all of God's blessings that flow in (and hopefully out) of my house on a second-by-second basis. To not notice this would really be a tragedy.

It is amazing to think that I've been back at work for nearly a full year and three months. It really has flown by. It was really great to come back to work after maternity leave to a department. A department? Yes, a department...that had other people in it. Before I left for maternity leave, for five years I worked in a "department" that had one person in it: me. I used to joke about it all the time, but really, it's been great to work with a mini-powerhouse team. Yeah, that's us: MAM. I am really going to miss being part of the creative whirlwind that happens every week.

So, it's with bittersweetness that I move into this chunk of time of my (and my family's) life. I am going to, like I did last time, make a list of things that I'd like to accomplish that I could not otherwise if I didn't have these wonderful 52 weeks off. Like taking up reading again. Really jumping into photography again (even if the subject is just my kids). A new one: working on the garden, now that I am in a house. This year can hold so much possibility, not just growing as mom, but as a person...which makes me a better mom.

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day of a lot of little things. Wrapping up the details and making sure that I don't just leave something hanging. Well, it can't be worse than the first time around where Sofia had me leave work 16 days early and NOTHING was prepared for. I thought honestly that I would have at least 16 more days to work and maybe even more since statistically the first born is usually late.

Well, I should turn in 'cause I want to get to work as early as possible so I can make sure that I get everything in and not have to SEND myself into labour by running like a crazy person.

Baby, one more day, just hang on one more day...

1 comment:

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.