Sofia! Let me sleep!

Thursday, February 25, 2010

It is so weird. I have totally read and heard lots of stories about this: the strange behaviour of the first born when the arrival of the second born is imminent.

Over the last few weeks, Sofia has started to wake up in the middle of the night INSISTING that she wants to sleep in our bed. Sometimes up to three and five times a night. Last night - four. In fact, it started at 4 am, and I'm usually good at falling back asleep. But after waking me up four times after that, I was staring at the ceiling. So, here I am at 7 am finished my breakfast and answering work emails. I know that at about 11 am, I'll be asleep at my desk.

Like, how the heck do they know? Sofia cannot possibly even understand what it might mean to have another whole human being living here starting in a few weeks and what kind of upside-down-ness the 7 or 8 pounder might cause. Most adults, until experiencing it first hand, cannot imagine the change in life -- not necessarily all bad -- will happen when a newborn comes home. I am trying my best to have good, devoted hang time with Sofia every day, regardless of how tired I am. So what is making her really act up? I think that my huge belly is more of a funny point to her, rather than something that signals impending change.

Anyway, I'm bracing myself for the big, fat transition. My mother keeps reassuring me, "At least you'll have lots of help!" Which is completely and absolutely true. I am definitely spoiled on that side of things.

My mother in-law called me up yesterday, insisting that she come and help me set up Sofia's new room. I don't know what is wrong with me...even when I really could use the help, and I am in the position to even WANT the help, I can't even think about how to accept it. Well, my in-laws certainly know this so they just basically announced that they're coming over on Friday to take care of whatever needs to be done to make HER granddaughter's room her new little nighttime home. I'm excited to see that room together. I wonder if Sofia is going to transition well... or just plain old freak out. Instead of coming to my bed 4 times a night, it'll be 11.

Well, since I'm up, I might as well try and get to work on time. As much as having another child has its challenges, I am ridiculously excited to see who is coming along next to join us in our family.

3 comments:

  1. yay!!! i'm excited for you too! and another girl! i didn't know. all the best kathy for the next month. praying for a healthy happy baby, mom and sofia! (and G too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks kaylee. but we don't know if we're having a girl or boy. surprise, again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This line made me so happy, "As much as having another child has its challenges, I am ridiculously excited to see who is coming along next to join us in our family."

    So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.