Sofia is 2 years old

Thursday, December 10, 2009



Last night we celebrated with 17 members of our family Sofia's second birthday. I cannot believe that two years have gone by already. It really is true when they say that life goes by even faster with children.

We had a really nice time together last night. I made a ton of food - with good help from Christine and Gabbie. Gabbie helped me with some of the side dish prep and Christine made TWO desserts: the birthday cake as well as a pie. The birthday cake was particularly exceptional! She made a layered chocolate sponge cake with buttercream frosting. Baking really is becoming her thing.

Because I am asian and want to remember what I ate during this celebration, here is what we served:

• Marinated Grilled Flank Steak
• Miso-Glazed Grilled Cod
• Tomato salad
• Potato salad
• Green Bean salad
• Parsley and lemon orzo
• Biscuits (by the hubby)

The key to my stressless dinner was the fact that all of that was easy to make. I went for volume, not difficulty and I went to bed happy - not frazzled. I mean, I WAS serving 17 people. AND I am five and a half months pregnant. Don't want to knock myself over.

I used to write about what Sofia is up to now, but that stopped at around 14 months. Life got exceptionally busy and so I couldn't keep up with it, but I'll do my best now.

Speaking
Sofia, perhaps over the last month, just started spilling out all these words. Up until then she would only say words that we had worked at teaching her, but now she comes with up words that she has heard and just decides to use them. I figure she probably uses over 150 to 200 words now. She is even starting to express possession (pointing to herself, saying "Sofia's" about different things she would like), and putting two-word sentences together. She knows the names for a ridiculous amount of animals - even knowing the difference between an eagle, an owl and duck. Unfortunately, she does point to an ostrich and calls it a "duck". Anyway, all of this reminds us to quit swearing like sailors at home.

Dancing and Music
She is crazy about both. Every day she asks for music. Every day she shows us some weird dance moves - accompanied with facial expressions. We try not to let her watch too many music videos (since most of them are not appropriate for a two year old), but each time she does, we know she is studying the dance moves and tries them after. Freaky baby.

She likes to play on the piano. She has a toy electric guitar. Her abuelos bought her a toy microphone with stand that has a colourful disco light thing at the base.

She is starting to really love action songs and picks them up pretty quickly. When she learns them at church I have to try to guess what they taught her.

Physical Ability
She loves to climb things and jump off of them. She climbs the piano bench and jumps off. She climbs the couch and jumps off. We recently cleared off a tv stand, and I knew she was eyeing it to jump off of it. We quickly found some plants and other decorative junk to make sure she doesn't try to jump off of that.

She nearly runs everywhere.

Personality
I guess this would be the biggest development. I was getting stuck thinking of what other skills has she developed and couldn't think of any... 'cause this would definitely overshadow all of that. Well, she loves to help and is thoughtful. We started having her help set the table and bring plates of rice over. She is concerned if she has her plate and you are sitting with nothing, or if you need a glass.

She uses humour to try to get out of being disciplined. Gonzo falls for it every time. I just glare at him.

Activities
She's starting to pretend a little bit. Today I found her feeding her stuffed animals with plastic food saying, "Try...try..." I guess I say that to her...?

Loves books. But that is only because we had to really teach her that she can't sit and watch television for hours and hours and hours. When we were moving, that was the big mistake that we made: we would just pop a movie in and just let her watch it to keep her out of the way. Now, we don't let her watch any TV until we are preparing dinner. If we let her watch anything earlier in the day, that is all she asks for all day. I think that TV in large quantities makes people dumb and bored. When we were "weaning" her from television, she cried all day the first day. That was But since we got her into books, she can memorize where certain pictures are in the books (when she is letting us know that she is acting something out from a certain page), and re-tell something that I taught her the day before. It's cool to see how the memory develops.

Although today is her actual birthday, most of us are shafting her today for a dress rehearsal we have at church. Good thing she has no idea that indeed today is the day she joined us.

5 comments:

  1. Baby Sofia is so blessed to have a great family. HappyBirthday princess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She'll be a great big sister.

    Happy Birthday cutey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And dangit! Just realized I spelled her name wrong on something...forgive me when it comes...:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi daine - it has been a long time! thanks...

    beka - you are always funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on baby# 2! Hopefully we'll have a playdate with the kids one day. Sofia is adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.