Landscaping

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

When we bought this house we inherited, among other things, a JUNGLE of a garden. The previous owners just *loved* flowers. Lots and lots of flowers. They'd just plant it anywhere. Half of our backyard was a massive tangled mess "English" garden. There are flowers under our pine tree. There are flowers under our bushes. Basically, if there was any open soil, no matter how small - it was an opportunity for FLOWERS.

We had a couple of family friends over and we gutted 75% of it. From 9 am until 4 pm, we pulled and raked and tossed everything that our friends didn't like (they're really into gardening, and well, we've just started), and transplanted everything else that we liked (hydrangea bush, roses, etc.)

Now, actually, the exciting thing for me is that a couple of weeks ago, I raked and threw down some topsoil and seeded under the pine tree and another section behind the house. Every day since then I've been looking for grass. Nada. Until...YESTERDAY! I found little bright green sprigs of grass sprouting up randomly. Can't wait for it to see it blend into the rest of the grass (I realize it may take a while...)

Same theme, different story... this morning, as I was leaving home for work, our neighbours across the street were working on chopping down this 100-foot tall tree. When I came home, they were still chopping it down. I don't think that they even hired professionals...I think that they were doing it themselves! All I was thinking was I hope that they have a permit. Reading up on it, you can a minimum $500 fine for cutting a tree down in Toronto without permission, up to a max fine of $100,000. Crazy!

1 comment:

  1. the only bush i had in my backyard i removed, gardening is so much work, i have a pot of dirt now in the back, the only things that grow are a few weeds, maybe next year ill throw some rocks in there, hopefully nothing will grow.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.