Sofia: 16 months

Friday, April 24, 2009

This monthly installment of “Sofia’s life” is coming 14 days late. Easter had eaten our lives whole and it took two weeks to kinda recover. I am looking forward to my day off tomorrow.

Sofia turned 16 months on Good Friday. She missed Good Friday service due to the exporting of videos which had encountered some technical difficulties. We would have left it for another time except that it was for that 3 pm performance of which a call time of 1:30 was racing up to our faces so fast we really were getting nauseous. Fortunately, we did figure it out although it cost Tyler about three hours of sleep that he could have had.

Okay, back to Sofia.


  1. She is now a stellar walker. We borrowed a little “monkey on her back” contraption that allows us to hang on to its tail while it hugs Sofia. This way, when we are in public she thinks she can run, far, far, away, until we YANK.

  2. My mother taught her this ridiculous thing of CLIMBING A STEP LADDER. Mind you, at least it’s only a two-step step ladder. But, I was already pretty livid when she taught Sofia how to climb a chair at the dining room table. I think my mother will, next, try to teach her how to chop green onions for dinner.

  3. Sofia now can say three Chinese (Hokkien) words: “Diow-loh” (finished), “Tseh-tseh” (sit), and “Kwah” (look)

  4. Sofia’s sign language is to the point where I can pretty much make out everything she wants. Most of the gestures are for: sitting (patting a chair), mum-mum (food, fingertips touching and motioning to mouth), ice cream (tongue out, fist moving up and down beside her mouth), me (pointing at herself), stinky (holding nose), nodding (for yes) and shaking her head (for no), and tons of pointing

  5. Sofia knows the following body parts in Chinese: hair, nose, mouth, eyes, hands, feet, bum.

  6. Sofia knows the following body parts in Spanish: eyes, bum (Dad, you’ve got some work to do)

  7. Sofia started doing this fakey smile one day, completely unprompted. The crazy thing is that I had the exact fakey smile when I was kid. It is SO the same, that when I had her do it for my parents, my parents fell off their chairs.

  8. Sofia is now 24 pounds.

  9. Sofia wears a size 4 shoe.

  10. Sofia’s naps are becoming a bit funny. For a long time, she has had a morning nap at 11 am, and an afternoon nap at 3 pm. Each one and half hours. Lately, we’ll lie with her for like 45 minutes in the afternoon trying to get her to nap. No nap. My mother and I started giving up. But she’s really in between stages right now. I don’t think that she is really ready for skipping a morning nap and moving into one nap a day (in the afternoon). I know this because when we go to church in the morning, as soon as she is in the car seat to go home at around 1 pm, she is OUT. The car ride is only 5 minutes.

  11. Sofia sleeps at least 11 hours a night. Sometimes 12.

  12. Sofia is eating more of our regular food now. She no longer rejects steamed rice. She may have Chinese in her after all.

  13. Sofia will run into my arms squealing to give me a hug, when I kneel down with my arms open. Pretty much my favourite development.


Of course, with every month, her personality is developing more and more. She’s a scared-y cat. For some reason, some dolls or stuffed animals really freak her out. And the laundry room at my parents’ apartment. She is aggressively friendly. She started walking towards a kid while saying and waving good-bye, when he didn’t wave back.

Pretty much every day I’ll just sit and watch her, and shake my head in disbelief that 16 months have gone by and this is now the daughter that I have. I remember when she couldn’t hold her head up by herself. I remember when we were so excited when she’d stay awake for 20 minutes straight. I remember when she’d try to suck on her fist and she’d punch herself in the eye.

I have to remember to always pay attention, ‘cause it happens all so quickly that in a blink of an eye, I’ll find her a teenager if I’m not careful.

2 comments:

  1. happy 500 days old sofia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! Love this!
    Everyone says it happens so fast, I guess it does! Enjoy every second and split second.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.