Something New

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

As the new year approaches my thoughts always turn towards New Year's Resolutions. I know many people are super-jaded when it comes to the NYRs, since most of the time they don't get fulfilled. I know a lot of mine don't get fulfilled and I usually make the same ones over and over again.

But this time, I think that I am going to be making the ULTIMATE resolution.

What I like about resolutions is that it makes me reflect what I could be improving about my life, or as myself as a wife, a friend, a sister, a daughter, a co-worker, and now, a mother -- or, even, as a human being in general. And I find, the older I get, the harder it is to change anything about how I go about life, to gain new perspective, incorporate something new into my routine, or even learn something new. Adult life can end up being a big, fat RUT.

I was talking to Gonz and we're deciding to try something new every year. Doesn't have to be earth-shattering, but has to stretch us a little. Gonz is off for three weeks due to some back problems, but he's taken the opportunity to try baking. He baked some biscuits last night, and today he baked three chocolate tea bread loaves. You should see how happy and excited he was.

And I think that it's that way with anything... When we learn something new, it makes us excited about the possibilities we have in life in general. Like I said, it doesn't have to be anything extraordinary. It can be anything.

What I also think is great about doing anything new at "this age" means I have to be intentional about it. And being intentional about something is very important. That means I won't look back at a stretch of time and go, "Where did the time go?" I feel I usually say that when I have drifted through life a bit too much, just doing what I always do...

So, I don't know what it is that I'm deciding to do yet, but I'm thinking about it. We'll see... got any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. my new years resolution is to be infectiously happy and/or nice. i was at the mall and this sales woman was incredible. so inspiring. i think an attitude check is a sweet way to try something new. happy new year kathy, to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.