15 days

Sunday, December 14, 2008

I have fifteen days left to my maternity leave. I cannot believe that 50 weeks have gone by and now I'm gearing up to go back to work. The church is being so awesome by letting me come back to my position only part-time: 4 days a week, instead of 5; and also working from home two of those days so I can be with Sofia. (The two days I am in the office, my mother will be watching her).

I am looking forward to it in a lot of ways. For one is being back with my co-workers. I have some of the best co-workers anyone can ask for. They are my very good friends and it will be nice when I can see them on a regular basis again. I like working on projects with them and trying to make things the best they possibly be! I am interested to see if this maternity leave "sabbatical" has gained me some new perspective on how I can work better and also in what ways has it made me rusty! At least I have been working some while I have been on leave, so I hope that I am not TOO bad.

What I am not looking forward to is not being with Sofia ALL the time. That is going to take some getting used to. I know for me, and also for her. I am happy that it'll be my mother, though, who will be replacing me as her caregiver those days. At least I don't have to worry about her–just miss her.

I am also not looking forward to the wreck my brain is going to be. I can imagine me freaking out because I wasn't organized enough about it, I don't have anything planned for my mother and Sofia to eat those days I am in the office. That might be one of my biggest dreads. Well, I guess if that's the worst, it's not going to be that bad.

Overall, I know, like all things, it's going to be a transition, and transitions have the potential to be stressful. It's going to be stressful in one way or another, but I hope it's not emotionally or spiritually. Physically, probably guaranteed since I'm going to have to be way more disciplined about sleeping and waking times (was never my strength). You'll probably laugh at me (those who know me best), but those days that I work from home I hope to wake at around 6 am so that I can get as much work done before Sofia wakes up (~ 3 hours), work while she naps in the morning and afternoon (~2), and then the other 2 hours can happen while she plays on her own, or when Gonzo gets home. That would be the perfect day - so I know that's a nice thing to aim for, even if it never happens.

Well, that's the masterplan. We'll see how it unfolds for real.

3 comments:

  1. 50 weeks. Unbelievable. if it were not so cold there and so nice and warm here I'd move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kathy. You have the sweetest deals going on there! Such a great balance of work and family time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God has definitely blessed your lives. Its great how things have worked out for you - and that your mom can help you out with Sofia. I'm so happy for you, and look forward to reading about how the transition goes =)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.