Akumal

Saturday, November 08, 2008


Akumal-turtle
Originally uploaded by snwbrdr5656

The area that we will be going to, as a family, in the Riviera Maya is called Quintana Roo, and the closest community is called Akumal. It's about an hour and half south of Cancun and is directly across Cozumel - an island just off shore. That area boasts the second largest coral reef in the world, after the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. It's called the Belize Barrier Reef - which starts where we are staying and extends all the way down to Honduras. Crazy - I never knew that it would be so "close" to us.

I am not an expert snorkeler or anything, but I really, really enjoy it. I have snorkeled in Hanauma Bay, Hawaii, and also in the Philippines. I think it's one of the most amazing experiences that you can have in nature. I imagine diving would probably far surpass this, but I'm afraid to try it. I guess I would feel a little bit easier if I was diving with someone very experienced, but I guess I'd still freak if I was face-to-face with, say, a SHARK.

Many reviews that I have read of the area said that sea turtles can be spotted easily year round, in addition to sting rays, barracuda (eek!), and many types of colourful fish. What I am also looking forward to is seeing colourful coral which I didn't get much of at Hanauma Bay and in the area (which I have no idea what it's called, or even where it is) in the Philippines. I ordered underwater housing for my digital camera so I'm super excited about being able to bring some decent pictures home.

Gonna be nice to relax and be with my family for a week. Sometimes it's hard to even get together for a weekly meal. It's insane how life picks up and schedules take you away from each other. But we're all pretty good at carving out some time to make family a priority. Anything important to you is worth the work, yes? Life with family isn't anywhere perfect, everyone has their quirks and preferences, but when we put these aside, it's the most fun to be had.

2 comments:

  1. Have fun on your vacation. I know that you'll take tons of pictures, which I can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude that is sweet.
    OK not this one but next Christmas we are planning a destination Christmas maybe some where like Colorado. I have been championing this idea for the past two years saying OK now every one Christmas 09 right and looking around the room imposing the long uncomfortable pause till they all say yes Daine we heard you already 2009 we go to some where there is snow.
    have a ball and take a to of pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.