Challenge

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Seth Godin. He's got some pretty good ideas. In fact, he's got something new to blog about EVERY DAY. Every day? I don't know if I could do that. But perhaps I need to read more and I'd have something.

This is an excerpt of his latest post:

1. Delete 120 minutes a day of 'spare time' from your life. This can include TV, reading the newspaper, commuting, wasting time in social networks and meetings. Up to you.

2. Spend the 120 minutes doing this instead:

* Exercise for thirty minutes.
* Read relevant non-fiction (trade magazines, journals, business books, blogs, etc.)
* Send three thank you notes.
* Learn new digital techniques (spreadsheet macros, Firefox shortcuts, productivity tools, graphic design, html coding)
* Volunteer.
* Blog for five minutes about something you learned.
* Give a speech once a month about something you don't currently know a lot about.

3. Spend at least one weekend day doing absolutely nothing but being with people you love.

4. Only spend money, for one year, on things you absolutely need to get by. Save the rest, relentlessly.

If you somehow pulled this off, then six months from now, you would be the fittest, best rested, most intelligent, best funded and motivated person in your office or your field. You would know how to do things other people don't, you'd have a wider network and you'd be more focused.


I think that's a great idea. However, place this into MY reality and that would require a heck of a lot of discipline. I know I could be more disciplined, and so this post, that I take as a challenge, would be something that I'd have to ramp up to, I think. I couldn't just decide it and be able to do it starting, let's say, tomorrow. But it's definitely a great reminder I could be doing some great things with my spare time.

Wait a minute.
Spare time? It's 12:29 am, and I've found a moment to blog. I'm not sure that you could call this spare time!

3 comments:

  1. Wowsa. That's awesome, love it! Crazy to think how much more productive we could be with just a little more discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're right, seth godin is a pretty smart cookie. i'm reading his book, 'purple cow' right now & he's challenging the way i look at my job. but this...now he wants to transform my life!? *sigh* still so far to go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am just not this type A i cant even finish the list and i am already saying to my self ok ok lets get this over with who does this consistently really?

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.