Beijing Boring?

Sunday, August 10, 2008

(Xinhua/Yang Lei)

(Cameron Spencer/Getty)

Okay, I've been scouring the internet to see if anyone else felt that the Opening Ceremonies for the Beijing Olympics was boring. I'm not saying that 15,000 performers is anything less than impressive, with all that precision in timing, organization and movement, but performance after performance after performance with the exact same goal - Hey World, look what we can do with 2008 people! - does get a little dull. What about some dramatic dynamics?

But the fireworks and architecture is nothing less than awesome!

4 comments:

  1. I'm not going to use words like 'calloused' or 'jaded' to diagnose your response to the opening ceremony. No, I won't do that ... mostly because I know you never watch tv. How could you possibly be desensitized?

    I don't get it though – I thought the whole thing was pretty great. Well, until the 'dove song' where everyone was flapping their arms to copy the dancers, or whatever you would call the white-robed featherweights on stage.

    At that point the athletes were tired and sweaty and had been standing/walking for hours. Awkward time to do a feel-good song. (Like there's any good time for that crap.)

    I wasn't bored at all ... when I watched the 2nd half in the morning and the 1st half at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I am the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it! Mind you, I didn't see the whole thing. And I know Jess and Nicole taped it so if there are slow boring parts - we can fast forward.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.