8 months

Sunday, August 10, 2008

243 / Sunday, August 10

My baby is eight months today. Can that really be right? I only have four more months until this baby is one. That is nothing! It's ALLLLLLLL true: they grow fast, and you thought life moved fast when you got married? It's worse when you have kids. I haven't a clue where the time has gone.

What Sofia is up to now:

  • Crawling She is starting to show a little bit of interest in crawling. She only moves in a circle - but at least it's a fast circle.

  • Tooth! Her first tooth has finally made its appearance! The left front tooth. It's about a half millimetre above the gumline.

  • Food This girl will seriously eat most anything. Among the strangest stuff: a hand full of cilantro, some green onions... And she gets VERY jealous if you're eating, and she is not. Just like her momma!

  • Sitting She is pretty much expert at this now. However, still occasionally falling backwards with a heavy thud.

  • Sleeping with pacifier When I started giving Sofia a pacifier to calm her if she was hungry and food was not able to be conveniently (and modestly) dispensed, I was worried about the day that she would become dependent on it to soothe her. And then I got dependent on it when the day came when I realized its miraculous powers to aid her to sleep on her own. I did not have to rock or pat or assist in any way. I kept asking myself will she EVER sleep without it. For the past three days, I have been able to get to sleep on her own at least for a nap or one night time sleep without it. I may be able to get rid of it completely very, very soon!

  • Weaning As I mentioned before, we are down to a feed every couple of days. I almost thought this day would never arrive - but it definitely arrived sooner than I thought. She drinks about 30 fl. oz. of formula a day. Two times four tablespoons of solids. Some cut up fruit at least once a day. Some arrowroot cookies as treats after one meal or sometime in the afternoon. I let her feed herself these to help develop a sense of independence, and to help tune her fine motor skills.

  • Walking Sofia has been bearing weight on her legs well for months now, and when I lead her to try to get her to walk, she doesn't really get the idea of putting one foot in front of another. However, the night that she met five of her boy cousins all at once, you should have seen how fast she ran towards me (assisted of course). Hasn't happened again since.

  • Health I have been soooooo grateful in this area. Sofia has NEVER been sick even once since she was born (you definitely cannot include her fake "cough"). We thank God in our prayers for her health every day. Several times a day.

  • UP! She will raise her hands up to ask you to pick her up.

  • Differentiation between people Gonz and I have been finding this the most interesting development that has happened lately. Sofia acts different with different people. For instance, as soon as she sees my dad she knows that he will pick her up, so up goes those hands - but she never does that with me. She only puts her hands up when I make the motion that I am going to pick her up. It's cool to see her making connections that way.

  • Smarty pant stuff A few times in the past month I'll sit with Sofia until she finishes all four tablespoons of her solids. I know that she isn't eating them only because she is distracted by other people around (or something) not because she isn't hungry. A few times it took me 45 minutes! Anyhow, sometimes she'll be super frustrated and she'll start crying. Well, when she is crying, her mouth is open. I take this opportunity to shovel some more food into her mouth. She smartened up. Now, if is ever that frustrated (not so much now), she cries with her mouth shut. Poor thing. Also, she'll tuck her bottom lip under her top lip so that I can't pry it open with the spoon.I know sometimes I should just give up 'cause she's likely just not hungry - it's hard though. You don't know about the nearly three decades of Chinese food-training: eating everything on your plate until it's gone, and you must pass this down through the generations.

    It's a rewarding time. More and more laughing, more mobility, more things that just amaze me everyday. All that hard work at the start of parenthood is feeling more natural, and there is less mystery to her needs in general. She is getting so big now that I marvel that she came from my body.

    I highly recommend parenthood.

  • 3 comments:

    1. Woohoo to mobility! ... and teeth!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Yay for reading 3 blogs in one day from Kathy! I feel fulfilled once again. Sofia is a darling. And you guys are the greatest parents.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Amazing! Bottom lip lesson. This was encouraging. i find myself reading your blog thinking ok i can do this.

      ReplyDelete

    Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.