My High School Reunion

Friday, July 25, 2008

It's funny how feelings from your childhood years can carry on quite strongly into your adult life.

I just went to my 10 year high school reunion. Wow, did it ever arrive quickly. 10 years? Danny Floh Back organized it, but I'm not sure who else helped. Everyone I saw looked pretty much the same. I was so glad that I went. I almost didn't. When I first got the invitation from a classmate I was totally into it. But as the days passed and I got thinking about it, I started dreading it and I wasn't sure why. I eventually figured out that I was hoping not to see the people who made me feel awful in high school at this reunion. I sucked it up and went to the reunion anyway because my friend Beka, who is now goes to the same church as some of my high school friends (crazy small world) told me that some of my friends were going to be there. I was like, Oh yeah... there will be people there that I DO want to see. How sad is it that people who I was hoping to avoid almost dictated my decision!

One person I talked with told me about how she also had hoped that certain someones weren't going to be there. And it was apparent that the way she was treated when were all younger wasn't too nice. She commented that the arts school that we grew up in together just bred mean people. I guess when you're put out there as a performer, whether it be drama, dance, music or visual arts, you're critiqued, and sometimes it just doesn't stop at your work. I think it just really impacted me that we can be so innocent about how mean we are as children but really leave lasting heaviness in other people. Innocent in the sense that we really don't know what we were doing.

Anyway, I was so happy that I went. I caught up with Kathy Jankul, who was an incredible dancer, but ruined her ankle and couldn't dance anymore. She is now in fashion and loves it so I'm glad that she found another love. I knew her since Grade 5. I caught up with Caroline Yoon, who friggin' was involved with the designing of the Canadian Olympic team uniforms for Beijing. She is now employed at Joe Fresh designing the Yoga/Athletic line. I caught up with Heather Buchan who is now an editor at the magazine Hello Canada! I got to chat with Nalya Jessamy who is now a doctor, but I know about her life through FB. :-) It was hilarious how many people who I haven't spoken to since high school told me about how they have seen my baby photos and know about what's going on with my life through FB. I guess some people would hate that, but I think it's kinda cool otherwise I would totally not post anything on the internet.

I picked up Sofia from my parents' house and then came home to sleep, but I just lay there too excited about seeing who I had just seen. It's nice to see who has stayed nice, or are even NICER now. I didn't even have to talk to any mean people.

2 comments:

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.