Feel like, no feel like

Thursday, June 12, 2008

I was just thinking that so much of life is doing what you don't feel like doing and not doing what you do feel like doing. It can be the big things in life like getting a new job 'cause you know you should, like deciding on having a family even though you're scared, and like saying sorry when you know you were wrong. Or, it can totally be the tiny things in life like getting off your butt and getting a walk in every day, washing the dishes and not letting it pile up, and like getting up early because snoozing your alarm every fifteen minutes sure isn't giving you quality shut-eye anyway.

Although Paul is writing about the law and how it works in our sinful bodies, he is talking about the same thing:
For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me (Romans 7:19-21).

Jesus tells us what to do with it too:
Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak (Matthew 26:41).

It's easy to do what you feel like, but watch your relationships go down the drain and your ass gaining 30 pounds overnight. It requires putting away the emotions and leading with your head. The emotions will follow eventually. Anytime I have encountered the decision to do something or not to do something I have ALWAYS felt so rewarded to have made the decision against what I felt like doing. Like, why is that?! Why can't I ALWAYS feel like doing what I should instead of procrastinating?

Although today's "struggle" wasn't with a moral issue, I was sure glad that I decided to get what I needed to get done instead of staying in bed longer. I got up at 6:30, made my husband his lunch and then stayed up to get the six design things I needed to plow into. I was especially happy that I got the most pressing one done: VBS maildrop for King Street that is going to be dropped into 10,000 homes in a couple of weeks. Now that I've got that done I don't have it hanging over my head the whole weekend.

It really just comes down to discipline and the road is a life-long one. The encouraging thing is that the more you do that which you don't feel like doing the more you start feeling like doing it. (I really am starting to sound like Paul!). Eventually your emotions get better at obeying your brain in whatever area you're dealing with.

2 comments:

  1. so, so true, kathy! too often i think we wonder why God doesn't move or do something, when i'm sure he is sitting with his head in his hands saying, 'just get off your butt & move!'

    right now, i can think of three things i've been putting off... ick...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i guess all that is left to do is argue if it was really Paul that wrote Romans. Sounds like you have the rest of it sewn up.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.