29

Sunday, June 01, 2008


I had such a great birthday (on the 30th). Gonz invited his family down to our place to join my side for dinner. The night before my dad and I were deliberating about what to have for dinner. We went from steaks (boooooooring) to burgers to grilled chicken breast burgers to stewed beef ribs. Food is such a big deal to us. It's weird. It's like if the "wrong" food was served that night, the night would just fall apart. Anyhow, we ended up with stewed beef ribs, sauteed mushrooms in olive oil, thyme and garlic, rosemary (from matt's garden) and garlic potatoes, greek salad and green bean salad (mi suegra brought that) and steamed rice (because we are CHINESE!), and a Dufflet Raspberry Charlotte cake for dessert. Everyone definitely had their fill. That's the other thing - we also feel that we have to overfeed.

Having everyone together really meant so much to me. More and more, both sides of my family are feeling like one big family. Things like: watching my mother carry around Gonzo's sister's girl, listening to my sister gloat about being at a shoot for Richard Gere to my mother-in-law, my father-in-law asking my dad what he put in the stew... The night was chaotic with 12 people squashed in our tiny apartment, but it was amazing. And they were all there to celebrate my birthday. I couldn't have asked for a better day.

(ok, fine, fine - Matt couldn't make it, and Margaret and Joseph didn't show until after dinner, Matt Miller was working... that is how it could have been better.)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me be a part of your family!

    The trouble with family is, one often expects them to know how one feels. Well, enough said!

    Much love to you and the whole crew Kathy. From the middle of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. darn tootin' I would have made it better! I'm not sure how, but it always feels good to read your own name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh nice candle lit face!!!
    good job gonzo!
    and i guess the 29 candles helped. :)

    fun fun night.

    blanca was totally floored that richard gere and i were in the same room. i wish i knew she was so obsesso . . .

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.