Sick!

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

No, not good sick.
BAD SICK.

On Sunday night, when my friends and family went home, I felt a dull pain in my breast. I just figured it was the usual - too much milk. Went to pump it and save it for Sofia for later, and went to sleep. But unfortunately, I also felt a little achy. I just figured it was tired. That wouldn't be too surprising.

The night would prove that I was sicker than I thought. I hardly slept that night, and woke up semi- okay, but a large rectangle over my breast was red, it was hot, and a bit hard. And the aches were worse. I also was developing a fever. I decided to take a shower and see if I could relieve it a little. Nope.

i called my awesome doctor and the receptionist squeezed me in for a 3 o'clock. Great thing was that Gonzo had the day off and could watch Sofia. I drove myself there all feverish, sans make up, ugly socks and all. I left the windows up and the vents closed even though the car was baking hot 'cause I was just freezing. I arrived at 2:45 and had to wait 40 minutes. It was a busy day in there. I sat in the corner and leaned my head against the wall, hands squished between my thighs, and tapping my feet quickly just trying to feel comfortable. Needless to say, the seat beside me in the waiting room remained empty the entire time I was there.

Dr. Chin finally got to see me, and I was super relieved. I was so weak that I could hardly remove my clothes. Thinking back I can't believe that I felt so bad (even though it wasn't so long ago). He confirmed my suspicions: I had mastitis.

Mastitis usually happens when a mother has a lot of milk (the blessing and the curse as I've been finding out) that it leaks from the milk ducts into the mammary tissue thus causing an infection. The symptoms are basically flu-like plus the breast pain.

It's not really that big of a deal as that it's easily treated with antibiotics and I can still feed Sofia well - although the affected breast is hard to get milk out of, and it leaves you feeling like complete crap. Last night I ended up with a fever of 39.1 degrees celsius (that's over a 102 fahrenheit my American friends), waking every hour and moaning 'cause no matter how I laid I was uncomfortable with my joints aching and being so chilly. I then decided I couldn't take it anymore and took a couple of Advils and woke up an hour later in the sweatiest fashion I have ever been in but never more delighted. Having your fever break is such a relief. (The reason why I had waited it out was because I had read from a lactation expert's website regarding mastitis that a fever helps to treat an infection so if I can stand it just let it run its course).

I am A LOT better today. My temperature went down to 36 degrees, and only up to 37.3. I am feeling a bit more normal except that the penicillin is doing a number on my belly. It's like feeling hungry all day but without the appetite to correct it. Oh and the farts are deadly.

So, it's been a bit of a tough three days. The tough thing about it is that I don't get to take it off work. I am still on call. If Sofia needs me to feed her in the middle of the night, I'm there to do it. I was instructed to have Sofia nurse from the affected side first to draw out the blocked duct, but that isn't too exciting when that is the side that is killing me. Anyhow, I am happy that today I was able to play with Sofia. It's crazy how much I can miss holding her when something happens and I can't. Fortunately Gonzo had Monday off, and took Tuesday off to help me with caring for Sofia while I was down and out.

I really hope I never get this again.
Unfortunately, there isn't really a way to prevent it.
Dang.

5 comments:

  1. dude, girl. sorry about the chesticle deal. I am in at the hotel reading this, and my sister said oh man that is painful.and started explaining it as i was reading. not good not good.
    Thanks for our comments. Grams in a much better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deadly farts...Silent but violent?
    Kathy...I hope your blogs reach young mothers everywhere! You post the good and the bad and you're so open. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11/5/08 00:00

    I was thinking the exact same thing as Beka, thanks for sharing. I'm glad you're feeling better.
    - Mercy

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Kathy I'm so sorry. I totally understand that pain. Not looking forward to it possibly happening again. I'm glad to hear you're starting to feel better.
    Isn't motherhood fun?!?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yikes! i think my heart rate went up reading that... I had no idea you were sick!
    Very glad you're better now.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.