The truth is...

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I have finally figured out what the heck is wrong with Sofia.
Over the last month, Sofia has been drooling incessantly. My mother-in-law and my sister-in-law both exclaimed, "Maybe she's teething!" I was like... geez, I hope not. Seems way too early.

I mentioned it to my doctor and he also said, "Impossible! It's way too early."

Last night, after a tough day with Sofia, I was looking for more possible reasons why she's having so much trouble nursing. I wasn't completely convinced that she was on a nursing strike STILL. Nursing strikes are supposed to last a few days to a couple of weeks. It just seemed too long. And since I was just so stinkin' tired of not knowing what was up with Sofia, I researched on the internet and some suggestions included 'thrush'. Thrush is a yeast infection in the mouth that commonly occurs in babies and it's supposed to be super painful. With the help of my mother, we pried her mouth open and went looking. Nothing.

Except for a little white dot on her gums. A tooth? I didn't know what thrush looked like.

I googled images of thrush. GOODNESS ME, she definitely doesn't have it. GROSS.

I told Christine and Margaret that maybe Sofia has a tooth coming through on iChat, and Margaret asked "Did you feel if it was hard?" No... for some reason I didn't think to do that. So, before we went to bed last night, I went to feel it and yes, it was hard AND she started gnawing on my finger. Gnawing. People who know babies know that if you put anything in their mouths at such a young age, they suck on it. They do not gnaw. All the lights came on in my head and I was convinced. THIS IS IT. I HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER.

This morning I looked into her mouth again, and looked on the outside of her gums and found a white bulge. SHE HAS A TOOTH! The girl is only 3 months old. On average, babies cut their first tooth at 6 or 7 months. It freaked me out and made me happy too, 'cause now at least I know how to comfort my baby.

Fortunately, someone had given us a teething ring at one of our baby showers, and so I pulled it out and she had a great time with it. Poor thing. She's been teething for about a month now. And I had no idea.

▼ The teething ring is a tad big. After all, it's meant for babies at least three months older than Sofia.

100 / Wednesday, March 19

3 comments:

  1. wow, that is kinda early, but it must feel good to know how to help her

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey has one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. genie liu26/3/08 15:45

    my! haha believe it or not, both my babies teethed before they were 3 months old!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.