More breastfeeding problems

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thursday, February 28

This week has been a freakin' disaster.

We took Sofia to hang out with her cousin Elizabeth on Monday. It was fun - but Sofia pretty much didn't sleep all day. And when Sofia is tired, she doesn't eat well. And when she doesn't eat well, she doesn't sleep well. It's a vicious cycle.

So - I've learned the consequence of breaking a newborn's routine. You will suffer ALL WEEK LONG. That night, on Monday, when it was time to feed her and I'd bring her to my breast, she'd scream and scream and scream. So I fed her by bottle for three feedings. She just wouldn't take the breast. The kicker was the middle of the night feed. Sofia is NEVER a problem in the middle of the night. This time the crying and refusing continued.

I cried too.

Gonzo stayed home with me the next day and I fought Sofia all day long to feed her. She did eventually latch each time. I also banished the pacifier. I suspected that she might have 'nipple confusion'. I swear, I feel like I am a hypochondriac with my baby - whatever I read, that's what she's got. Nipple confusion happens when you mix breastfeeding with bottlefeeding. Your baby will eventually prefer the bottle because she can get the milk out with not as much effort. But Sofia needs her pacifier to sleep. I've given it to her for over a month to sleep. And when she doesn't sleep... remember? Yeah. What the heck do I do?

Today was the worst. I fed her successfully at 9:30am in the morning, without much fuss. I was excited that perhaps it was over. Then the worst came. I tried to feed her at 11:30am, at 12:30pm, at 1:30pm, at 2:30pm... no success. I finally gave in and gave her the bottle at 4:30 because I figured there would be NO success in feeding a baby this hungry at the breast. She ate and fell asleep sweetly and deeply. She woke up at 6pm crying, and crying hard. I tried her at the breast - SUCCESS! Then she fell asleep again. And then woke up an hour later crying again! I tried her at the breast, again - and another successful feed.

She's sleeping now. I hope that the next feeding time is better again.
I don't think I can take much more of this.

This is even worse than the Nursing Strike.

1 comment:

  1. now - the THUMB!?!?!
    ooooh no!

    hehe

    i'm glad she's eating way better!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment.